Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?
By the point the draft arrives April 26, both Rosen or Darnold may have separated themselves from the opposite and be established because the clear No. 1 decide. It could be shut, however there’s at all times a consensus when the highest two picks are QBs and it doesn’t at all times work out that the primary man picked is healthier than the second.
There’s an extended method to go earlier than draft day at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tex., and Rosen and Darnold might be picked aside by the expertise evaluators on the mix, professional days and personal exercises. They’re each extraordinarily proficient, however they’re simply children. Rosen gained’t flip 21 till February and Darnold not till June. Phil Simms and Eli Manning have been every 23 years outdated once they turned Giants.
The Giants are selecting No. 2 and can get their (very close to) future franchise QB. Even with so many different wants, they need to make the funding.
The Browns are selecting first and can nearly actually take the choice away from the Giants and draft one of many two. Proper now, the Rosen argument is he’s extremely correct and higher ready to plug in and play. The Darnold argument is regardless of all his turnovers this season (13 INTs, 9 misplaced fumbles, the entire greater than about 100 school groups), he’s the subsequent Large Ben – laborious to convey down, glorious at extending performs – and can ultimately be the higher participant.
Some components to contemplate:
– Rosen likes to talk his thoughts – I like that – and has made it fairly clear he doesn’t wish to play for the Browns. Darnold is making no calls for. Can new GM John Dorsey, a soccer lifer, run scared and move on Rosen if he likes him higher or does he have the heart to resist the PR nightmare if Rosen tried to re-enact what John Elway and Manning did to govern the draft and ultimately drive a commerce? If it’s shut, he goes with Darnold.
– It will be out-of-the field considering, but additionally having the fourth decide offers the Browns flexibility. They may take Penn State RB Saquan Barkley, the very best participant within the draft, at No. 1, after which if the Giants take Rosen/Darnold and the Colts, selecting third, commerce their decide to the Broncos (No. 5) or Jets (No. 6) to take Rosen/Darnold, then the Browns may get their QB with Josh Allen and even Baker Mayfield and even wait and take Lamar Jackson. And if the Colts don’t commerce their decide, the Browns may nonetheless get Rosen/Darnold at No. Four. If the Browns don’t take Barkley, then both the Colts will take him or be overwhelmed with commerce gives for the decide from groups that need him. The success of Zeke Elliott, Todd Gurley and Le’Veon Bell has made it trendy to function the operating recreation once more.
– My concern about Rosen is that he suffered two concussions this previous season and in November of 2016 had surgical procedure on his proper shoulder. The hits within the NFL might be delivered by larger and stronger defensive gamers. Gamers that suffer concussions are extra prone to the subsequent one. The shoulder surgical procedure was to restore a soft-tissue harm. It was not reconstructive. Rosen in contrast it to pulling a hamstring within the shoulder. He feared it may have been worse earlier than what was termed exploratory surgical procedure.
– Darnold didn’t have an ideal season – he doesn’t play in an ideal scheme – and would profit by spending a 12 months with Manning. He must see the sector higher. Darnold is the primary USC QB to throw for Four,000 yards in a season.
If this was the Jets making the decide – and it may end up that method, who is aware of – the inevitable comparisons to former USC QB Mark Sanchez is not going to be a great way to begin his profession.
– Darnold was 20-5 beginning at USC, the identical file Tom Brady had at Michigan. Rosen was 16-14 at UCLA. They’re practically an identical in dimension: Darnold is 6-Four, 220. Rosen is 6-Four, 218.
Right here’s what one long-time NFL expertise evaluator informed me final week after each Rosen and Darnold declared for the draft:
“I feel Rosen is extra proficient and if I have been to choose proper now, I’d take Rosen over Darnold. He’s higher proper now. It’s going to be a knock-down drag-out form of factor. I like Darnold, however he comes and goes, so to talk. Final 12 months (2016), he was good, however individuals didn’t understand how good JuJu Smith-Schuster was. This 12 months, he didn’t have him on the crew. He’s obtained every part you need – dimension, he’s an actual good man, he’s obtained accuracy – however it doesn’t translate. You are worried about that inconsistency.”
Darnold’s father Mike is a medical fuel plumber who has completed work at UC Irvine Medical Middle in Southern California. One of many orthopedic surgeons within the hospital is Dr. Charles Rosen, who’s Josh’s dad.
Small world. The dads of two potential franchise QBs working in the identical constructing.
THE BOOK ON BRADY-BELICHICK
The connection between Invoice Belichick and Brady has at all times been about enterprise however there’s a shelf life with every part. With the reported turmoil, it exhibits how good they’re at pushing points apart: The Patriots have been 13-Three this season and Belichick and Brady may very well be on their method to their eighth Tremendous Bowl collectively.
I gained numerous perception into their relationship researching my “Brady vs. Manning,” e book. Listed below are some attention-grabbing quotes:
– Brady on Belichick away from the sector: “When it’s outdoors of soccer, he’s a very totally different particular person. As quickly as he’s in soccer mode, it’s like hitting a swap.” I requested Brady if he had ever been uncovered to the enjoyable facet of Belichick. He stated, “It must be in a non-football surroundings.” Absolutely, I stated, he’s seen that. “Me?” he stated. “Very not often, very not often.” They’ve by no means a lot as gone out for pizza and beer at a joint on Route 1 in Foxborough after a recreation plan assembly? “I don’t suppose we ever have,” he stated. “We’re round one another a lot, each time we’ve got time, nothing ever comes of it.”
– Brady on Belichick on the sector: “He is aware of me in addition to anyone. I do know what he expects of me. We don’t most likely speak as a lot as individuals might imagine. He trusts me to do my job and lets me do my job. There’s occasions after I get to specific sure issues to him and I feel he has loads of belief within the issues I say and the arrogance within the issues that I say.”
– Matt Cassel, a former Brady backup and shut buddy, on the connection between Brady and Belichick: “Invoice has such respect for Tom. He is aware of that Tom is aware of what he’s doing. Did he yell at Tom? Hell, sure. It saved every part accountable.”
– Tom Brady Sr. on the dearth of compliments Belichick offers his son simply being the Patriots Manner: “They couldn’t care much less. They don’t seem to be making an attempt to shine his star. If Belichick had 53 guys named Joe, he could be joyful.”
GRUDEN, THE SEQUEL
Jon Gruden 2.Zero is smart with the Raiders transferring to Las Vegas in 2020. He’ll assist promote tickets in a metropolis that bets on soccer however has no monitor file of going to skilled soccer video games. He might be launched because the Raiders new coach/outdated coach Tuesday.
Again in 2002, Al Davis traded Gruden from the Raiders to the Bucs for 2 first-round picks, two second-round picks and $eight million. Gruden then beat the Raiders within the Tremendous Bowl in his first 12 months in Tampa when Tony Dungy’s Bucs gamers have been higher than Gruden’s Raiders gamers. Gruden took benefit of realizing every part about NFL MVP Wealthy Gannon, his former QB, and the Tampa protection intercepted him 5 occasions with three returned for touchdowns.
In his final six years in Tampa, Gruden had three successful seasons, three shedding seasons, was Zero-2 within the playoffs and didn’t develop a quarterback. When he was with the Raiders, he misplaced the AFC title recreation at dwelling to the Ravens.
He’s 95-81 within the common season and 5-Four within the playoffs.
Price ticket with the Raiders: 10 years, $100 million. There isn’t a state tax in Nevada and there’s lots in California, so I’d anticipate a bunch of the cash to begin kicking in by 2020.
Will Gruden stick it out 10 years? Jerry Jones gave Jimmy Johnson a 10-year contract in 1989. He was gone after 5 seasons with Jones paying him $2 million to depart. A minimum of he left behind two Tremendous Bowl trophies and the
gamers that gained a 3rd trophy two years later.
It could work out for the Raiders, however we all know it’s going to work out for viewers of Monday Evening Soccer.
AROUND THE LEAGUE
Kevin Mawae, who performed eight of his 16 seasons for the Jets, is without doubt one of the 15 finalists for the Professional Soccer Corridor of Fame for the second 12 months in a row. In 13 of his 16 seasons, he blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher, together with when Curtis Martin rushed for 1,607 yards in 2004 for the Jets on the age of 31. He’s the oldest participant to steer the NFL in speeding. Mawae was a imply chip-on-his-shoulder participant on the sector and at all times one of many nicest off the sector…Everson Partitions can be a finalist in his 20th and final 12 months of eligibility as a modern-era candidate. Partitions’ deal with on Thurman Thomas within the open area on the Payments final drive within the Giants Tremendous Bowl XXV victory ensured that Jim Kelly couldn’t get Scott Norwood any nearer than 47 yards for the potential game-winning kick. Partitions performed his first 9 years with the Cowboys and led the league in INTs a file 3 times, since tied by Ed Reed, however he gained his ring with the Giants. He’s additionally been unfairly blamed for giving up Dwight Clark’s catch within the 1981 NFC Championship Sport. Joe Montana had about two days to throw the ball and to this present day the Cowboys insist he was throwing it away. In that recreation, Partitions intercepted Montana twice and recovered a fumble. I’ve identified him since I began masking the Cowboys in his rookie 12 months in 1981 and he’s in my prime two or three of all-time favourite gamers…I ran a Tweeter ballot final week asking concerning the candidacies of Terrell Owens and Randy Moss for this 12 months’s HOF. There have been 496 votes solid. The outcomes of who ought to get in: Each 51%, Moss 31%, Owens 14%, Neither Four%. …If the Vikings grow to be the primary crew to play the Tremendous Bowl on their dwelling area on Feb. Four, the secondary ticket market goes to blow up. Vikings followers gained’t have journey or lodge bills so can afford to spend greater than out of city followers for tickets…Now that the Payments have ended the longest playoff drought – they’re in for the primary time since 1999 – there’s a new chief in futility. In fact, it’s the Browns, who’ve been lacking from the playoffs since 2002, the one time they’ve made it within the 19 seasons since they got here again into the league. The Bucs are subsequent at 2007 adopted by the Jets and Bears at 2010.